The CSE Department employ many types of student staff:
- Closed Lab/Windows Consultant
- Assists CSE1111/1112/1113/2111 students with coursework. Grades closed lab assignments submitted by CSE1111/1113/2111 students. Maintains an environment conducive to learning in the labs; ensures that the lab is kept clean, all equipment is in proper working condition, all users abide by CSE and University policies, and assists lab users with questions to the best of their ability.
- Java Consultant
- Assists CSE1221/2123/2221/2231 students with coursework (syntax not logic.) Maintains an environment conducive to learning in the labs; ensures that the labs is kept clean, all equipment is in proper working condition, all users abide by CSE and University policies, and assists labs users with questions to the best of their abilitiy.
- Help Desk Operator
- Provide tier 1 desktop support to students, lab consultants, faculty and staff. Respond to and direct phone, e-mail and in-person requests for support in a timely manner. Assist consultants with upkeep of labs. May assist computing staff with some administrative or programming projects. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Hardware/Networking Tech
- Job responsibilities include but are not limited to pulling and terminating cable, patching and trouble shooting connections, and installing hardware. During slow periods when there are no specific projects to work on your time will be spent covering hours at the CSE Help Desk.
- Undergraduate Grader
- Assists the course instructor with administrative duties and helps manage the class in a positive manner that is helpful in meeting the needs of the student course population. Average hours per week vary with each course, generally 5 – 8 hours per week (with a few exceptions). A general list of duties for an undergraduate grader are included below. If you have additional questions, please contact Kathryn Reeves.
Undergraduate Grader Duties:
- Positive and timely communication with instructor
- Keeps appoints with instructor, if/when requested
- Communicates student problems and concerns to the instructor
- Proactive and uses good judgement when handling student concerns and/or administrative issues
- Accurately maintains the course gradebook if requested
- Knows FERPA rules as it relates to sharing personal student information, including grades
- Holds office hours
- Answers e-mails associated with the course in a courteous and timely manner
- Effectively, accurately and fairly grades assignments (lab, homework, projects, etc), excluding all exams***, in a timely manner
- Helps develop homeowrk and/or lab material; extent determined by the instructor
- Review assginments or exams priopr to them being handed out to students, if requested
- Communicates effectively with second grader, when applicable
- Helps proctor exams, if requested
- Attend course lab sessions, if applicable/requested
- Attend course lectures, if applicable/requested
- Performs other related assigned duties as they pertain to the current position, with permission of the instructor
- Student Systems Administrator
- We are looking for individuals to assist systems computing staff. Applicants should be familiar with at least two of the following : Linux, Mac OS, and/or Windows. Candidates should possess excellent communication and teamwork skills, with a strong work ethic.
Summary of Duties
- Assist in the development and support of systems in the CSE computing and research environments.
- Install Microsoft and Linux operating systems and software.
- Investigate and assist with responses to reported malware.
- Evaluate and test new technologies, processes, procedures.
- Respond to end-user requests.
- Handle data in accordance with University policy.
- Document processes and procedures.
Students interested in any of these positions may fill out an online application.