You are here

Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Questions from OSU students in other departments:
    • I am currently an undergraduate major in XYZ Department. I want to transfer to the CIS/CSE major. What should I do?

      Ans: See the admissions page (ignoring the portions that apply to non-OSU students). Be sure to read the pages that describe the prerequisites that students must complete before applying for major status.

    • I am currently a graduate student in XYZ Department. I want to simultaneously pursue an undergraduate degree in the CSE Department. What should I do?

      Ans: It is generally not possible to simultaneously pursue a graduate degree and an undergraduate degree at OSU. If you want to pursue a graduate degree in this department, see the graduate program page.

    • I am currently a graduate/advanced undergrad student in XYZ Department. I would like to take some of the more advanced classes offered by the CSE Department. Do I really need to take all the prerequisite courses?

      Ans: Students who know the material covered in the prerequisite courses do not have to take them before taking the course in question; but do not expect the instructor to go over the material from the prerequisite course because you have not taken the course. Note also that CIS and CSE majors get priority scheduling for courses beyond CSE 2221 taught by the department. Other students are admitted on a space-available basis. One course that might be of special interest to non-majors with a strong computing background is CSE 5022.

  2. Questions from current CSE/CIS majors and pre-majors:
    • I am planning to graduate this term and just discovered that I am one hour short of the required number of tech elective hours. Can these hours be waived so I can graduate?

      Ans: No, sorry. All students are required to complete all the specified requirements.

    • I have transfer credit for math courses. Can I use those as tech elective hours?

      Ans: That depends. If the credit is for advanced courses in some relevant topic, and if you do not have credit for another course on the same topic, this may be possible. Talk to your faculty advisor and to one of the advisors in the Advising Office.

    • I have been programming since elementary school. Do I need to take all these intro courses?

      Ans: Most students, including those who have been programming for many years, do have to take all courses starting with CSE 2221 (1211, 1221, 1222, or 1223 should be taken only by students who have little or no programming experience; see placement test). Note that CSE 2221-2231 form a tightly integrated sequence, so you typically cannot jump into the middle of the sequence. A (very) few students who have taken courses equivalent to the entire sequence may be able to test out of all three courses. If you think you might be one of these students, talk to one of the advisors in the Advising Office.

    • I have done a lot of real programming in my work. Do I need to take all the beginning courses?

      Ans: All students are required to complete all the curricular requirements (but also see the previous as well as the next question and the answers).

    • I know most of the material in course CSE xxxx although I have not taken an equivalent course anywhere. Can I get credit for the course? How?

      Ans: If you do know most or all of the material in a given course, you may be able to get "EM" (examination) credit for the course (please consult with the course coordinator for the particular course (see the "course syllabi" link from the departmental homepage to see who the coordinator for the course is) about this. He or she will probably ask you to take an exam similar to a final exam for the course and then decide whether or not you should receive EM credit for the course. If you get EM credit for a course, you will not have to take that course.

    • I am a CSE/CIS major. I was planning to take "CSE uxyz" this term. However, the course is not offered, and I have to graduate at the end of this term, and the course is required for my program. What do I do?

      Ans: You should have planned ahead. In some cases, it may be possible to find alternate courses that may be used to substitute for the course in question, but there is no guarantee of this. Talk to your faculty advisor and to one of the advisors in the Advising Office to see if there are any suitable substitutes.

    • I am a CSE/CIS major. I was planning to take "CSE uxyz" but got closed out. What should I do?

      Ans: If you registered on time (i.e., when your registration window opened), you should not have been closed out; if in fact that is what happened, talk to one of the advisors in the Advising Office. If you registered late and hence got closed out, you may have to wait until the course is offered again. You may also want to try going to class for the first few days and see if there is room and whether the instructor will let you add the class. But note that this is up to the individual instructor.

    • I am in the BS CIS program and got a D in the course "CSE uxyz". The Arts & Science College told me that I cannot use this course as part of my major program since my grade was less than C-. But my friend who is in CSE who also got D in the course is able to use the course as part of his major. Why is this, and isn't this unfair?

      Ans: This is because the ASC policies are different from those of the College of Engineering. It may be unfair but there is nothing the department can do about it.

    • I am looking for a job/internship; please help!

      Ans: See the Co-op/Internships/Jobs page.

    • I am about to graduate; what do I need to do?

      Ans: If you are a BS-CSE major, see the Handbook of the Engineering College's Committee on Academic Affairs, specifically pages 32-33 of the handbook for graduation requirements and procedures. If you are a BS-CIS or BA-CIS major, see the graduation procedures page.

    • I am graduating this term. I have looked for my advisor but I can never find him/her. Help!

      Ans: Go to his/her office during office hours (you can find information about individual faculty member's office hours from the CSE main office  in 395 Dreese Labs (tel: 292-5813)); send the person email; or call. If after several attempts, you are not able to reach your advisor, contact the Advising Office. (But please note that most faculty members are involved with a number of activities and may take a day or two to respond to your message.)

    • I don't know who my faculty advisor is. I need to file my graduation application which needs the advisor's signature. Help!

      Ans: Your faculty advisor is listed on the first page of your Student Center.

    • I do know who my faculty advisor is but he/she is not able to answer all the questions I have. Help!

      Ans: Talk to the Advising Office and explain what the problem is. They may be able to assign a new faculty advisor for you.

    • My question is not answered here; help!

      Ans: Contact the Advising Office.