Graduate Program - FAQ
How do I submit the graduate program forms to the Graduate School?
You can submit the graduate school forms, such as application to graduate, candidacy oral exam, and dissertation oral exam, online at https://gradforms.osu.edu.
How do I file my program extension forms?
Please visit the website of Office of International Affairs https://oia.osu.edu to download the program extension form. Fill in the relevant fields and email your advisor for approval. Then you can send the scanned copy to the Graduate Studies Coordinator Ms. Lynn Lyons at email@example.com for approval from the Graduate Studies Chair.
How do I sign up M.S. Comprehensive exams, Ph.D. Qualifying Exams, or Accelerated Option for Ph.D. Qualifying Exams?
Please visit CSE Portal: https://portal.cse.ohio-state.edu/cse-portal using your login information to sign up.
How do I file CSE Graduate Program forms such as Candidacy Exam form and Change Advisor form?
Please download the CSE Graduate Program forms, fill in the forms and send the scanned copies to the Graduate Studies Coordinator Ms. Lynn Lyons at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to plan for an MS oral exam, Phd candidacy exam or Phd dissertation defense?
Graduate Thesis/Competency Exam/Proposal
The Graduate School has communicated that if your students are completing a candidacy exam, thesis oral exam, or dissertation defense, you will need to shift to a videoconference meeting format and you may do so without needing to petition. You can schedule a Zoom meeting and incorporate a very basic identity verification step to meet the Graduate School’s requirements for protecting exam integrity. For undergraduate exams in this format, your department can use these same recommendations to guide its planning.
- Use Zoom to host a defense meeting.
- The student’s advisor should draft and sign a document verifying the student’s identity as documentation of ID verification.
- Discuss as a committee before the defense what your expectations will be and share them with your student. Expect longer delays for processing questions and providing verbal answers.
- If students will be expected to diagram, draw or show visual elements, make those expectations and a list of required materials available to them well ahead of time.
- Zoom videoconference meetings require a device with a camera and microphone and high-speed internet access. Work with your students to determine who cannot meet those requirements.
- If you have students who will not have Wi-Fi access for the duration of the exam, work with your department chair to find access alternatives. The Graduate School asks faculty to be as flexible as possible with their graduate students in making arrangements.
Adjusted SP20 deadlines for the completion of comprehensive final oral examinations, as well as final thesis/dissertation submission and approval.
• Graduate Final Oral Examinations for students graduating Spring 2020 should be completed by Friday, April 17. Our prior date was April 10th
• Graduate Final Theses/Dissertations from students graduating Spring 2020 must be submitted and approved by the Graduate School by Friday, April 24. Our prior date was April 17th
• For Graduate Students that miss these deadlines, we will extend our “End of Semester Graduation Deadline”, that allows students to graduate summer term without summer enrollment, is extended to Tuesday May 12. Please note that this deadline applies to graduate students only and does not apply to the university’s general academic calendar. The date for this late graduation option without paying for summer enrollment is always 1 day before the start of the next semester.